Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Alecia's teaser

"Do you think you and your sister--smart and clever as you think you are with your Shanghai city ways--will know where to go tonight with that baby girl? Will you know where to go tomorrow? The blood of your father has ruined you both. This is why I can buy you for such a low price, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to lose my goods so easily."

May looks at me. I'm the older sister. I'm supposed to know what to do, but I'm completely confused by what we're seeing and experiencing. Not once has anyone asked why we didn't meet the Louies in Hong Kong, what we've been through, how we survived or how we got to America. We let the old man take our jewelry and it feels as if we've been caught in a fisherman's net.

"Shanghai Girls" by Lisa See

No comments:

Post a Comment