Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cecilia's Teaser Tuesday

Yes! let me acknowledge that on this first day I let the charm of her presence lure me from the recollection of myself and my position.  The  most trifling of the questions that she put to me, on the subject of using her pencil and mixing her colours; the slightest alterations of expression in the lovely eyes that looked into mine with such an earnest desire to learn all that I could teach, and to discover all that I could show, attracted more of my attention than the finest view we passed through, or the grandest changes of light and shade as, they flowed into each other over the waving moorland and the level beach.  At any time, and under any circumstances of human interest, is it not strange to see how little real hold the objects of the natural world amid which live can gain on our hearts and minds? We go to Nature for comfort in trouble, and sympathy in joy, only in books. Admiration of those beauties of the inanimate world, which modern poetry so largely and so eloquently describes, is not, even in the best of us, one of the original instincts of our nature. As children, we none of us possess it.  No uninstructed man or woman possesses it.

No comments:

Post a Comment