Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Alecia's teaser

"I reckon' if there's anything you ought a know about cooking, it's this."
"That's just lard, ain't it?"
"No, it ain't just lard," I say. "It's the most important invention in the kitchen since jarred mayoniase."
"What's so special about pig fat?"
"Ain't pig, it's vegetable." Who in the world doesn't know what Crisco is? "You don't have a clue of all the things you can do with this here can."

The Help, by Kathyrn Stockett
(which I must admit I haven't started yet but so many people have told me it is wonderful so it is next on my list. I'm actually reading/editing my dad's life history right now but I was pretty sure none of you wanted that to be my teaser, even though it is a great story :)

1 comment:

  1. I liked The Help. It's a bit formulaic, but it really makes you think. I felt sort of ashamed, or caught up short, to realize that the events in the book took place during my lifetime. I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete