Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Amy's Teaser on Tuesday

Because the odd thing was, I didn't think I was particularly crazy, or that what I often thought or felt was unique to me. Instead, I had come to believe that everyone had these thoughts or feelings, this sense of force or evil energy pushing on them to do evil or be destructive. The difference was, they all knew how to manage it, how to hide it, how to control it, because that was the socially appropriate thing to do. They had stronger wills, and better coping skills, than I did. They knew how to keep their demons in check; I did not. But perhaps I could learn.

From "The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness" by Elyn Saks (who is a law professor, holds a masters degree from Oxford, and has lived with schizophrenia most of her life)

No comments:

Post a Comment